HEAP can help you stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer through programs that reduce the risk of health and safety problems that arise from unsafe heating and cooling practices

​Frequently Asked Questions

1.    What is HEAP?

HEAP stands for Home Energy Assistance Program and is provided by Restoration Network to assist low-income households to help pay energy expenses. The main components to the HEAP program are:

Payment on behalf of qualified applicants to offset home heating or cooling costs.
Crisis relief for emergency situations such as:  running out of fuel, or the impending or actual termination of electric or gas service.

2.    Do I have to own a home to qualify for LIHEAP?

No, to qualify you may rent, own your home or live is federally subsidized housing (Section 8 or public housing).

3.    Do I need to have an unpaid heating bill?

Yes, you must have a current bill to receive HEAP assistance.

4.    Do I have to be on public assistance to apply for LIHEAP?

No, you do not need to be on public assistance to qualify for LIHEAP.

5.    Who is eligible?

Applicants whose gross total household income is 125% or less of the current Federal Poverty Income Guidelines qualify for this program.  The income guidelines for HEAP are updated annually by the Federal Department of Health and Human Services.

Note:  Only Priority clients will be served the first 15 days of each month.

1) Sixty years of age or older;

2) Disabled (Documentation required)

3) At least one child under age 5.

All other clients will be served the last 2 weeks of each month.

6.    What does HEAP not pay for?

HEAP does not pay for non-electric charges such as water, sewage, fire, and bad check fees (NSF), collection fees, meter tampering fees, etc.

7.    Question: Where can I apply?

To apply for HEAP, you must call for an appointment. Walk-in appointments will not be accepted. 

8.    How often can I apply?

Home Energy Assistance: Once every 12 months
Crisis Assistance: Once every six months

9.    What documents are needed to apply?

You will need to bring the following information to your appointment:

1) Valid (non-expired) Photo ID with birth date for ALL household members ages 18 and over.
2) Social Security Card for ALL household members.
3) Proof of disability, (documentation required).
4) Proof of Income for ALL household members:

a) The Last 3 pay stubs
b) Social Security, Retirement, Pension, Death Benefits, VA award letters, (cannot use bank statement).
c) TANF award letter (cash assistance)
d) Food Stamp Verification Award Letter (cannot use food stamp card)
e) Child Support Verification (Last 3 check stubs, or letter from Child Support)
f) Unemployment or Workers Compensation Award Letter
g) Financial Aid Award Letter

5) Most Recent Utility Bill (Utility Bill must be in the name of the person applying, and applicant must reside in the household.)
6) Lease/Mortgage

Note: All household members must be on the lease.

***  Income must be gross income. Bank Statements are NOT acceptable.

All DOCUMENTATION MUST BE CURRENT. If you do not bring all documents to your appointment, you will have to restart the process with a new appointment.